Our Family

Our Family

Friday, May 4, 2012

I Don't Belong Here!

Hi everyone! Hope you all are doing well. We are staying busy at the Ranch, enjoying summertime!


A few days ago Clara came home with another itchy rash (this would be like the third time in the last 2 months).  As I was applying anti-itch cream, I was kind of thinking out-loud and I said, "I wonder why you are Linc get these rashes, but the other Ranch kids don't.  They play where you play, and eat what you eat.  That's weird." To that Clara responded:


 "It's because I don't belong here." 


I stopped and looked at her and asked what she meant, and she explained that the other Filipino kids belong in the Philippines, but she is American and therefore does not belong. 


Honestly, this made me kind of sad. No one wants to be the kid who "doesn't belong", right? I already doubt our choice to live here sometimes, simply because no matter how much language we learn, or how "culturally adapted" we become, we'll always be "the white people". The foreigners. The ones who don't belong. 


Then the words to a Switchfoot song popped into my head. "Beautiful Letdown". Here are some of the lyrics:

It was a beautiful let down 
When you found me here
Yeah for once in a rare blue moon I see everything clear

I don't belong here
I don't belong here
I'm gonna set sight and set sail for the kingdom come
I will carry a cross and a song where I don't belong
But i don't belong
I don't belong here
I don't belong here
Kingdom come



This was a timely reminder for me that no matter where we live here on earth, we will never really belong.

Dear friends, I warn you as "temporary residents and foreigners" to keep away from worldly desires that wage war against your very souls. 1 Peter 2:11
Have you ever felt like an outsider, like you are "different"? The next time you feel that way, remember, that's because you ARE!! We weren't meant to live in this world and feel satisfaction, feel complete.  This is our temporary home, and God has a MUCH better one for us in Heaven. Where we will dwell with Him. Forever! Isn't that awesome?! 


Hope you have a great day! :)



1 comment:

  1. Kell bell what divine insight and such intuition from Clara!! U r right though at times answering the call of God on ur life isn't fun nor fair nor fancy at times, the one thing it always is - FREEDOM. Freedom to be alive in Christ, freedom to know that God always has ur back and freedom that this isn't our home just a loaner till our true home gets just the way our sweet Father wants it!!
    So no matter what anyone says - whether there or here U ARE IN GOD'S PERFECT PLAN.

    ReplyDelete