Our Family

Our Family

Monday, November 14, 2011

hugs

Hi guys, I feel like it's been a long time since my last post. Our family is doing well, actually today marks 11 months since we first came to the Philippines! We are busy and happy. We just had a really great chapel service, and I wanted to share some of it with you.


"Lola" Nancy, one of the founders of Happy Horizons, talked with the kids today about keeping their bodies pure. She used the verses from 1 Corinthians 6:15-20, where Paul says:
Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body.
Lola Nancy went on to talk to the kids about valuing themselves.  The only way these kids will treat their bodies with respect is if they realize how valuable they are.  Something she said really struck me: 

Some of you truly don't know that you are valuable. You don't know that you are worth something, because no one ever showed it to you.  Maybe someone, whether it was a stranger, a relative, or your own parents, hurt you or mistreated your body.  I am telling you today that God loves you, He thinks you are valuable, worth more than anything else. And we love you.

Then, she had all of the staff and teachers go around hugging the kids and telling them we love them.  Now, I am not terribly huggy, especially to to older kids... I hug the the little ones a lot, but the older kids I just give a shoulder pat, you know? So today, I hugged some kids that I've never hugged before.  It is amazing how something that seems so insignificant (to me) really touches people.  The kids and staff were crying and hugging, and it was just great! Some of my "tough girls" just melted in my arms. I know the kids really felt loved today.

So, my new resolution is to give more hugs!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome!!!!!!! Its always important to let people know that you care and value them! What a great message to teach to the kids (and older kids, teens and adults too)...

    ReplyDelete